The course offers the practical skills and theoretical knowledge needed to sail safely with a fast motorboat.
You do not need a (Dutch) boat license or practical experience to start this course. The vast majority of the students obtain their certificate in 2 days. In exceptional cases it may turn out that someone will still need an extra course day. We will let the student know this on the first day.
The RYA Power boating course is internationally recognised and is mandatory for renting a fast motorboat abroad. Furthermore, it is also a required diploma for future deckhands, employees on superyachts / tenders and cruise ships, expats and at the request of insurance companies.
Experienced boat owners, who want to learn to master the navigation techniques, also reserve this practical boating course at RIB School Scheveningen. And also because it’s just very educational and fun!
For Dutch passport holders, the powerboat certificate is not a valid document in the Netherlands.
According to the law, a Dutch national must be in possession of the Dutch boat license (vaarbewijs), which is completely theoretical.
We strive to teach a maximum of 2 – 3 people at the same time in order to give optimal attention. You are alternately skipper and co-skipper.
The course is pretty intensive. This allows you to progress quickly and to learn from each other.
Why choose for Rib School Scheveningen?
- We have more than 15 years of experience training the Police, Department of Waterways and Public Works,
expats, deckhands, expedition staff, off shore crew, etc.
- Out of more than 300 reviews our score is 9.8
- The Rib training is held on our 8.0m or 8.5m Rib with 300 HP
- The Zodiac training is held on our Zodiac Miler’s MK 5 HD
- We are in the near proximity of the North Sea. An exiting and challenging place to navigate.
- Outside the port we do not have restricted areas with speed limits, so great for training our high speed turns and MOB.
- The port is great for all manoeuvring exercises with various types of vessels and sailing yachts.
- Our office is located at only 50 meters from our boats, which is convenient and efficient
- During the training everyone will be provided with all the necessary gear from Helly Hansen.
- During the day it is free parking, just in front of the entrance of our office!
- Scheveningen is a popular destination for water sports, restaurants and beach life, with a big variety of hotel accommodation.
When is our next course?
We do not have fixed training dates, but rather agree on a date in consultation with each other. We organise a course nearly every week between March and October and it is usually possible to make a reservation at the Rib School Scheveningen in the short term. We have 6 instructors and 4 training boats.
How to obtain your International Boat license for the Netherlands? Book a Cevni Test:
For some foreigners it is possible to apply for an ICC (International Certificate of Competence) after successfully obtaining the Powerboat Level 2 certificate and the Cevni test. It depends on your nationality whether the RYA can issue an ICC. Please check the following website of the RYA if your nationality is on the list:
We are a RYA recognised training centre for the online Cevni test. (CEVNI stands for “Code Europeen des Voies de la Navigation Interieure, which is the code governing navigation on the interconnected European inland waterways.)
Recommended reading to prepare for the Cevni Test: (RYA Book, G17, £10,49)
After successfully passing the RYA Level 2 and the Cevni test you may apply for the ICC. The costs for the ICC are GBP 45, – and can be paid directly to the RYA with your credit card details on the ICC application form and you will receive the ICC within 3 weeks.